Pages

True nostalgia is an ephemeral composition of disjointed memories.

Monday, 7 September 2015

8 Malibu, Ballito - Dec. 2002

The beginning - foundations of our new holiday home, Dec. 2002
A dream being realised - at last, our own place on the North Coast of KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

Who doesn't dream of having a holiday home at the coast? Or maybe up in the mountains, or on the banks of a river or in the bushveld maybe? My dream has always been to live at the coast, but as life has led me on a different path, the next best thing is having a holiday home at the coast. I had never seen the sea until the age of 27 and then I was hooked, fascinated by that endlessly-moving body of water, the crashing of the waves against the rocks, the shells and the crabs on the beach, the little tidal pools with a plethora of tiny creatures awaiting the return of the tide.

But as can be expected from an (in)land lubber like me, I'm not fond of swimming in the sea at all. Paddling in the shallows where the waves have already broken is about the extent of my foray into the water. I believe that that body of water is meant for the sharks and all the ocean's other living creatures while I'll keep my feet firmly on terra firma!

An then, finally, in 2002, I heard of a new development in Ballito, offering units and houses in a complex called 'Beverley Hills'. Up until then, one's only option was buying an existing unit, not many of which captured my fancy and those that did, right on the beach, of course, were far too expensive for us to consider. The new development was situated about a kilometer from the beach, but because it was high up, had fabulous views of the ocean. Our decision was made!

 Progress - our unit is the bottom ground-floor unit
Progress - lounge sliding doors leading out onto the patio 

 Progress - the stairs
Progress 

 Progress
 Progress

Progress
The view!

The view
The view

The view!

::